I Now Relate to a Factitious Character but a Real World Issue

Recently I started watching the newest television show This is Us. A heartfelt series that shows a family and how they have grown. I love this show, I think I cry almost every episode! No it is not because, while I value my family and I see how they are tight and in need of each other, I cry because I relate just a little bit too much with one of the main characters - Kate. She is a beautiful "overweight" woman who has a fit and famous twin and a wonderful adopted fit brother.


There might be some spoilers so if you want to watch the show, now is your chance to stop reading and start watching!

Her whole life she has been deemed by society as a chubby little girl, into a chubby teenager, and then morphed into what we deem as "overly obese". Her mother - out of the love in her heart - doesn't want to see her ridiculed and does it as protection - but starts her out on eating fruit and cottage cheese while her brothers get the sugary cereal. Not fair! In one episode she states "mommy, I ate fruit all day!" which breaks me down.

Now as you have read in my first post The Ugly Truth I used to blame my mother for my weight and self-esteem issues, and it wasn't until I was older that I could see that my mother was doing it out of the goodness and the caring heart she has. In another episode (fast forward 36 years) Kate is in the car with mother - whom she sort of resents at this age for reason not clearly defined yet but we assume it is the weight issue, and her mother states after Kate reveals she is going to go through with gastric bipass surgery "did I do this to you?". At this point you have me on the couch bawling, because I have had one too many conversations like this with my own mother.

----------------------------------------------------

So why am I mentioning this? Why am I still watching this show? Why do I put myself in such emotional distress? 

Because I LOVE this show! 

I feel like every parent and their "overweight" child needs to watch this! Because what you say can hurt and have lasting effects for a really long time! 

I am 27 and I still feel like I will always have a weight issue. Kate says to a guy that really likes her and he is a bit chubby himself, but he is smitten with her "it will always be about the weight". Which is SO true! I don't blame my mother anymore, but I blame myself for letting these comments ruin me for as long as they have!

-----------------------------------------------------------

So here I am - almost 300 pounds (thanks to what I will talk about later I have actually lost about 5 pounds now) and starting over for the UMPTEENTH time in my life! 

Starting new.
Starting afresh.
Starting Weight Watchers - again. Why would I do this? Why would I do this again after so many attempts? Because I know it works, and I am not letting anyone get in the way or say comments to me like "I thought you were on a diet"... and all those other crap comments! 

Because I want to do something about it! I want to change it! My fat pants don't fit anymore. I can almost not fit in seats at the movie theater. AND I want to go to Harry Potter world in November and feel good about myself! 

And if Kate on This is Us can do this... I CAN TOO!!!! 

So can you!

No weight loss story is perfect. So don't feel ashamed to try and fail and try again! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ugly Truth

An Update on Keto (progress pics included)

The Ups and Downs of the Weight Loss Rollar Coaster!